Wednesday, October 4, 2017

Week 4 in Umlazi-October 2, 2017

The internet went out right before I sent this on Monday so here it is.

First off just wanted to give a shout out to my mom whose bday was yesterday! Happy birthday mom! It has been humbling to see how lucky I am to have a mom that is supportive, or even in my life.  Many here don’t have the support system that any of us in the United States are lucky enough to have. 

Another great week in Umlazi! This week was a quick and exciting one! On Wednesday we had Zone Conference which is just when like about 16 missionaries get together for a day with our mission president.  We learn all day about how to improve ourselves.  It was an awesome experience for me.  I love meeting other missionaries too.  They are all such great guys and fun to talk about life in the mission with them.  We talked about change and how what we do as missionaries is go around and ask people to repent, or to change.  WE teach them how to change and help them with it.  That is our job and it is awesome!

 The next day we had exchanges.  I was with a zone leader, Elder Dos Santos.  He is from Mozambique and a stud.  He taught me a lot and helped me understand a lot about my purpose here as a missionary.  Now skip to Sunday we had two baptisms.  One 13 year old girl named Ziyanda.  She is awesome.  She stays with here Grandma here because her parents are not around anymore.  Sad but she is always so happy and excited! The next girl is named Mouhle.  She is awesome as well.  She is only 10 so a bit more shy but another great example to us.  Her mom is not a member of the church but the girl comes with her grandma.  We forgot to fill up the font that we baptize in early so we were very stressed and trying to stall so that people didn’t get too upset. 

That night our power went out.  The way it works here is you pay for power then when you get low you pay again but my companion forgot it was low so it just went out.  Kind of sad but we just ended up going to sleep and you don’t need lights for that so it worked out. 

This week I have been studying about hope.  It is a Christ like attribute so I have been looking at scriptures on it.  My favorite is Ether 12:4 in the Book of Mormon.  Hope comes from faith in God that he will make sure everything in our life is alright.  We just need to trust him and keep a smile on our faces.  There will be trials but you just got to “saddle up,” as my MTC president said, and deal with it.  We all struggle with things for a reason and we just need to try our best and God will do the rest. 

I love you all and wish you the best of luck in everything you do this week! Count your blessings because believe it or not you are so lucky to have what you have. See you next week!

Pics: typical life in Umlazi with the trucks. and these are deep fried balls of goodness.  Called Amiguena or something like that.  Sooooo good and cheap but will give you diabetes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment